Monday, November 10, 2008

Apple Pie Filling!

Here's a great recipe if you are up to your eye balls in apples. Think ahead for the holidays and make up a few quarts of filling for your friends and family. This recipe is especially for Grace, my dear friend who has requested it.

Apple Pie Filling for canning:

18 cups baking apples, peeled and sliced
4 cups brown sugar
1 cup corn starch
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
8 cups water
5 quart size jars and lids

In large pot combine brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Add water and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Add apples and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until apples are tender, about 6-8 minutes. Have your jars and lids hot and ready. Pack each to about 1/2 inch from the top. Screw down lids. Process in boiling water bath for 20 minutes. Makes about 5 quarts.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Hi Jennifer,
I found your blog today through Muckboots~N~Aprons. I just wanted to drop you a comment and tell you that I really enjoyed reading it, ALL of it! You have a beautiful family and I found your traditions and faith very interesting. I hope you don't mind if I come back and visit again soon!

~angie~