Monday, August 17, 2009

Fun Snack Idea


I don't know about you, but around our house I make two snacks a day. It's almost always fruit in the morning but something a little different most of the time in the afternoon. And often I am stumped as what to offer. I hate to hear, "Again?" from my children.

I saw this recipe in the Family Fun magazine that was in my mailbox today, so I thought I'd try it:

Sticks and Stones
4 tbs. butter
3/4 cup frozen orange or apple juice concentrate
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups oatmeal cereal squares
2 cups pretzel sticks
1 1/2 cups whole almonds
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries

Heat oven to 300. Place the butter, juice concentrate and sugar in large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 45 seconds to melt the butter. Stir in cinnamon.

Spread the oatmeal squares, pretzels and almonds (NOT THE FRUIT!!) on a baking sheet. Toss to coat with the butter mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven then stir the fruit in. Let mix cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Well, I did have a little less than half of these ingredients... the butter, sugar and some pretzels but they weren't sticks, so I made up my own recipe with what I had:


Jenny's Juicy Snack Mix
4 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup grape juice concentrate
1/4 brown sugar
3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
2 cups mini-pretzels
1 1/2 cup cashews
1 cup dried apricots, chopped

Bake as directed above... but remember not to put the fruit in until it's done!!! (Can you guess what I did?)

Use what you have and bake your children up something a little different for snack today. And, consider doubling it and putting the leftovers in a gallon jar with a lid for another day.

No comments: