Monday, February 2, 2009

Fast Food on a Diet

I promise, after the Fresh Thoughts 30 Day CHALLENGE! is over I won't give dieting advice every thirty seconds. But, here's some until then:

Here are some fast food substitutes that are much easier on your diet than the real thing!

Pizza: To avert an impending pizza crisis, toast an oat bran English muffin to desired crunchiness. Add sauce or canned tomatoes, 1 tablespoon part-skim mozzarella or ricotta, plus some diced green peppers, onions and other veggies of your choice. Pop it back in the oven and broil until the cheese is slightly melted. Add more veggies for more vitamins, minerals and fiber.

Burgers: Make your own patties from ground white turkey breast or extra-lean ground beef sirloin. Mix in seasonings to please your palate. Try any of these: salt and pepper, garlic powder, mustard, reduced-sodium soy sauce, hoisin sauce or chopped onions. Broil or grill (instead of frying) so the patty is not swimming in oil. Make sure the turkey is cooked all the way through — it should not be pink in the center. Once done, pile on any number of low-fat toppings such as veggies, salsa, or mustard.

Fried Chicken: Many weight-loss efforts have been thrown off-track by fried chicken. Don't be derailed: You can throw together a home version of faux fried chicken that's just as good as the original. Dip the skinless white-meat chicken in egg white and place meat in a plastic baggie of crushed cornflakes/breadcrumbs and spices, or use seasoned breadcrumbs. Shake, thoroughly covering the chicken. To add zing, consider mixing ranch dressing mix or taco seasoning mix in your breading. Or dip chicken in egg whites then honey mustard before you coat it with breading. Then bake at 350º F to crispy, crunchy perfection (about 30-45 minutes). Try this technique with fish too.

French Fries: Skip the traditional white potatoes and head straight for sweet potatoes, which are brimming with vitamin A. Wash and scrub the potatoes well. Keeping skin intact, slice just as you would regular fries. Brush with a small amount of olive or canola oil or coat with olive oil-flavored cooking spray. Sprinkle generously with Kosher salt to encourage crispiness, plus all the herbs and spices that suit your fancy. Bake on a non-stick baking sheet at 400º F for 40-50 minutes, or until crispy.

Or, my own personal favorite, Onion Rings: Try Hungry Girl's version.


5 comments:

Fruitful Harvest said...

Good morning Jennifer~
What great and simple recipes! I too need to lose some weight! (about 50#).
Your new blog pictures turned out great!
What a help a teenage girl can be...I had 4 boys first and my daughters are 3y and 16mo. The boys are not wanting to be to domestic! LOL I keep trying! My husband and I laugh...we will have to wait for almost a "empty nest" before we get to live in a really clean house!

This is kind of off topic but I have a blog posting how to question? If you want to help me we can talk via e mail?
littlepeasinmypodforgod@gmail.com

My question...How do you go about (what steps)putting words into a photos for postting? ie. Your pic with the cleanning stuff that has your blog title in it?
Is there a book you used to learn from? I'm not overly computer savey. I will check back here to see if you respond or just email if that is eazier?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Blessings,
Georgiann

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I'm looking forward to trying the sweet potato fries! Yum.

I have a question for you. When you prepare burgers or any other meat, do you soak & salt it and all that, or do you do something else? I've had trouble doing that with ground beef and the blood oozing out of it as it's cooking really grosses me out so I'm looking for ways to "fix" that problem. Do you have any tips?

Jennifer said...

Check out my previous post on Kosher meat - we just buy it Kosher slaughtered, salted and all that.

Not sure where you're at but you can find Kosher products all over the country.

:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I had read your post on Kosher foods before, but since I don't have access to kosher meat here I have been looking for tips on "koshering" (is that even a word?) the local, organic meats I have access to. We're mostly vegetarian anyway, but we do eat meat sometimes. Sigh. Thankfully, Google is my friend. I'm sure I'll turn up some good tips online. :)

PS: I'm in Oregon, but the closest Trader Joe's is more than half an hour away from us (and we never go up that way). Anyhow, we prefer to buy locally.

FrugalWeightloss.com said...

Hey Jennifer! I received your package on Sat! (I think it got here on Thursday, but we had some problems with apartment management office closing early, so couldn't get it till Sat)

Thank you so much! I wasn't expecting all of those magazines! Wow!
I'm ending the Fresh Thoughts challenge abit early, and I mentioned you in this post here: http://www.frugalweightloss.com/2009/02/monday-musings-fresh-thoughts-30-day.html

Thanks again!
Amy