Thursday, September 3, 2009

Less of Me

Powerful words:

"Today they call me “Mommy”, but someday they’ll think of me and I will be like a faint song; hopefully a sweet one. They will have their own lives and I will be in the back of their mind.
It’s not about me; it’s about God and them. It’s about how they view God, and how they see themselves. What kinds of things do I need to tell them? How much holier do I need to be so that they can have a good example? How can I get out of the way more so that they can see Jesus?

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

Mothering is not easy. It is back-breaking, heart-wrenching work. It has taken over my whole body, and it puts my mind and spirit through the wringer. It is not a 9-5 job that I can quit if I become dissatisfied. I am a mother for the rest of my life, and my heart gets pulled to them every time they send out a distress call, no matter how old my children become.
But this is my “reasonable service”. It is greater than me, and it is too much for me to handle as one human being. Their needs far surpass my abilities to meet them. I am lying daily on the altar and asking God to strip me more of myself so that who He is can reach out to them through me."

Do you love this stuff as much as I do? Read more here.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Amen & Amen!!! Thank you for reminding us of the bigger picture!