Monday, October 6, 2008

Autumn Pleasures... on a limited calorie budget

For the last several months, I've been really careful about what I put in my mouth. Or, really, what I allow with in 3 feet of my person due to the perpetual arm bending that seems to happen. Before I started this whole thing, I had no idea that there were so many calories in many of my favorite foods.

Take my usual autumn drinks. I love a carmel macchiato from Starbucks. Can you even guess how many calories are in one of those (272 for a 20 oz, but that's with low fat milk, if you don't specify you'll get the whole milk version at 312)? And I do enjoy a hot chocolate on a cold evening. Especially something with mint (Alpine mint hot chocolate - 500 calories for one serving!!!) What is a consciences dieter to do?

Check out Hungry Girl's tips on hot drinks here. Maybe you'll get some ideas of your own.

While we're on the subject, here are a few of my favorite diet conscious treats:

South Beach meal bars, especially chocolate, 180 calories. Tastes like a candy bar but has lots of protein. They keep me full for a long time. Just between you and me, I sometimes eat them for breakfast.

McDonald's ice cream cone, 150. I know that it's getting cold out but what a diet deal!


York peppermint patty, 140. I love these things.

3 comments:

Jenny M said...

Mmmm...I agree with the McDonald's ice cream cone. They're yum!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

i got hungry for sweets after I saw your post!!!! You can believe I got myself up and got an ice cream from the fridge!

By the way my husband saw me typing the comment and said "so THATS why you got ice cream!"

Devita said...

I like those all... yummy.......