Monday, October 6, 2008

Autumn Pleasures... on a limited calorie budget

For the last several months, I've been really careful about what I put in my mouth. Or, really, what I allow with in 3 feet of my person due to the perpetual arm bending that seems to happen. Before I started this whole thing, I had no idea that there were so many calories in many of my favorite foods.

Take my usual autumn drinks. I love a carmel macchiato from Starbucks. Can you even guess how many calories are in one of those (272 for a 20 oz, but that's with low fat milk, if you don't specify you'll get the whole milk version at 312)? And I do enjoy a hot chocolate on a cold evening. Especially something with mint (Alpine mint hot chocolate - 500 calories for one serving!!!) What is a consciences dieter to do?

Check out Hungry Girl's tips on hot drinks here. Maybe you'll get some ideas of your own.

While we're on the subject, here are a few of my favorite diet conscious treats:

South Beach meal bars, especially chocolate, 180 calories. Tastes like a candy bar but has lots of protein. They keep me full for a long time. Just between you and me, I sometimes eat them for breakfast.

McDonald's ice cream cone, 150. I know that it's getting cold out but what a diet deal!


York peppermint patty, 140. I love these things.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Mmmm...I agree with the McDonald's ice cream cone. They're yum!

Anonymous said...

I like those all... yummy.......