Thursday, March 19, 2009

Getting Rid of the Leaven

I'm trying to use up all of the leaven in my house before Passover... never knew I had so much! We have boxes of the stuff we need to eat in the breakfast nook. Boxes! We've been out of bread for quite some time so we have to get creative with the many bags of pasta and other stuff still there. I found this recipe to use up the boxes of Raisin Bran I had on hand - my husband loves this stuff, but apparently prefers not to eat it every day until the holy day. My children had these muffins for breakfast yesterday and today. They love them.


Raisin Bran muffins

1 box Raisin Bran (I used a 20 oz box)
3 cup sugar
5 cup flour
3 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 cup oil
4 eggs
1 qt. buttermilk

Mix first five ingredients then add the rest. This makes a ton - 4 dozen, I think, so the batter can be stored in the fridge for up to six weeks. Bake in greased muffin tins for 20 minutes at 400.

1 comment:

Missi said...

I need to go pull out all our leavened goods, too. I wonder what Jim did with the crates I usually put the food in ...