Sunday, March 1, 2009

Upcoming Projects

Chickens. It all started with them. At some point I came to the realization that what I was was really meant to do was live on a farm and come what may, that's what I'll do. Living in the middle of a neighborhood, I'm not sure that the rest of the cul-de-sac feels as thrilled with the idea as I do. But, I figure, we'll all get used to it and the kids will be all the better for it.

I had the bright idea one day that I wanted to put a chicken coop in my front yard. Yeah, that's what my husband said too. The front yard? Well, really, there is a method to the madness. I already had a plan for the backyard (square foot gardening), our side yard (the part that isn't fully dedicated to tree houses that is) is full of fruit trees - I'm hoping to fit a couple of cherries in there later in the spring - and all of the area near the shed is packed with as many berry bushes and vines as I could fit (raspberries, blueberries and grapes). I plan to tuck a honeybee hive or two behind my monstrous butterfly bush, so really, all that is left is the front yard.

Since chickens are boarding on livestock (at least to me!) I got to thinking about 4-H for my children. Heck, this might be the only chance in their city dwelling lives that they get to raise anything. After looking in to the program I now realize 4-H is much more than just some rural kids at the fair with horses and goats. There is an array of options for study and it's pretty inexpensive to boot. I even found out that I could become a leader and start my own group. So, of course, I did. (I named it Busy Bees 4-H club. My children think is the least cool name I could have chosen, but we are homeschoolers, who cares!?) I got my poultry leaders guide along with a host of other topical guides that we will be studying in the weeks to come. Gardening, bicycle care and maintenance, woodworking, small machines, knitting just to name a few. We will be doing our state mandated annual testing this next week and then I will let the children have a little break from "school" to work on these 4-H projects.

No comments: