Thursday, August 14, 2008

Homemade Mayo Recipe



When it's hot out, we tend to go through mayonnaise like crazy. Chicken salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, sandwiches and on and on. I finally got smart and quit buying it because it is so easy to make!

Blender Mayonnaise Recipe (makes about 1 1/4 cups)

1 large egg
1 T vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp paprika
dash red pepper
1 cup oil
1 T lemon juice





Combine the first six ingredients in the blender container. Cover, blend about 5 seconds. With blender running slowly, gradually add 1/2 cup oil (use a rubber spatula to scrape down sides when you need to). Add lemon juice and then pour the other 1/2 cup of oil in while the blender runs slowly. Store for up to 4 weeks in a tightly covered jar in the refrigerator.





We like to double this recipe and it turns out well.

There you have it, cheap and easy mayo!

(A big thanks to my fab daughter who actually did all the work, aren't those the best pictures of mayonnaise that have ever been taken? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, she did a great job!

Homemade Mayo is the yummiest.

You have a Vita-mix. I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

My girls have been bugging me for over a year to try this. When Ralph bought me my Bosch there was a recipe for homemade mayo. Now I will have to try it. Thanks for the 'push'.